Basics Gloss Heavy Gel
Add extra body, brilliance and gloss
Mix with paint to make it much thicker, better for blending, and glossier - or use as a collaging adhesive.
Acrylic paints & mediums
All acrylic-friendly surfaces
Blending & softening edges
Collaging, decoupage & mixed media
Glazing (when used with transparent colors)
Lightfast & archival
Flexible & non-cracking
Water-resistant when dry
Intermixable with all Liquitex materials
- Thickens fluid/medium body paints, giving an oil paint-like texture that holds brush and knife marks
- Increases surface gloss, color depth and transparency
- Slows drying time so you achieve better color blends
- Makes your color go further without affecting stability
- Maintains paint adhesion, durability and archival quality
- Fully intermixable with all Liquitex products - Basics and Professional
- Mix with Matte Gel to create a custom satin finish
- Can be thinned by diluting with up to 25% water - distilled water will give best results
- Mix as much as you like into acrylic color to create the consistency and transparency you want - the more you add, the more transparent your color will become
- Apply with a brush as a collaging glue
- Do not vigorously over-brush as this can result in a foggy, hazy look when dry
- Do not use with any non-acrylic compatible media
Tips & Techniques
Useful guides for working with mediums
Gloss Heavy Gel FAQs
Other artists have asked us...
Is it true that your Basics Gloss Gels make the color look richer as well as thicker?
Yes it is. The way the color mixes into the clear acrylic gel gives a more brilliant result.
What can I do with thickening mediums – I haven’t used them before.
Gels and pastes allow you to take a single paint and get different results and effects, depending on what you mix with it. Start with our Basics Gloss and Matte Gels: they'll instantly thicken your paints, letting you play with texture, create peaks and dips and impasto techniques. You can also try moving into the Professional mediums range - take a look at the pastes, gels and Liquithick Additive. Pastes will take the color further and create almost clay-like forms and sculptural effects, while Liquithick has a unique spongy texture.
How do I decide between a gel or fluid medium?
If working with a medium consistency paint like Basics, a gel will thicken it and a fluid medium will slightly thin and extend the volume - essentially giving you more paint. The gel will give you a heavier body paint.