Basics Matte Fluid Medium
Improves flow, with a matte finish
Mix with paint to give it a matte finish, while making it thinner and more transparent. Or use as a collaging adhesive.
Acrylic paints & mediums
All acrylic-friendly surfaces
Collaging & mixed media
Lightfast & archival
Flexible & non-cracking
Water-resistant when dry
Intermixable with all Liquitex materials
- This is the best way to improve flow - thinning acrylic paint with water will give you less intense color and poorer all-round performance
- Reduces surface gloss, while improving color depth and transparency
- Thins heavier body paints, giving increased flow
- Makes your color go further without affecting stability
- Maintains paint adhesion, durability and archival quality
- Fully intermixable with all Liquitex products - Basics and Professional
- Mix with Gloss Fluid Medium to create a custom satin finish
- Can be thinned by diluting with up to 25% water - distilled water will give best results
- Mix as much as you like into acrylic color to create the consistency and transparency you want - the more you add, the thinner and more transparent your color will become
- Stir gently to avoid creating foam - if bubbles appear, leave it to sit while the bubble rise and disappear
- Apply with a brush/sponge as a light collaging glue
- Do not shake or vigorously over-brush as this can result in a foggy, hazy look when dry
- Do not use with any non-acrylic media
Tips & Techniques
Useful guides for working with mediums
Matte Fluid Medium FAQs
Other artists have asked us...
I’m a student and want to get a matte finish – what do I need?
Most paints are naturally satin finish so try Basics Matte Medium or Matte Gel which will dull the shine. If you want to go even further try our Ultra Matte Medium from our professional range, or try our dead matte Acrylic Gouache range.
How much Basics Gloss and Matte Fluid Mediums should I add to my paint?
Because our fluid mediums have the same base as our paints, (think of them as pigment-less paints), you can add as much as you like without weakening the formulation. Have a play - the more you add increases the fluidity and transparency and dilutes pigment intensity.
Will Basics fluid mediums make my color more transparent?
Yes they will a little, as the medium has no color of its own, so your pigments will be slightly diluted. Start by adding a small amount and see how you go from there.