Prepare your surface with a base color
A pre-mixed neutral gray acrylic ground to prepare your surface and add instant color.
Acrylic & oil paints/mediums
Chalk & oil pastels
Graphite, pencil & charcoal
Hardboard & paper
Wood & non-oily, porous supports
Lightfast & archival
Flexible & non-cracking
Water-resistant when dry
Intermixable with all Liquitex materials
- It contains a blend of pigments to give a matte neutral grey, opaque base which instantly eliminates your surface color and allows you to build depth
- Primes surfaces and adds a high level of tooth for maximum color adhesion and stability
- Stiffens your canvases and creates the optimum absorbency for paint application, providing a professional standard, archival base to help maintain the longevity of your work
- Establishes a suitable surface for preliminary charcoal or pencil drawings
- Always use a quality artist's gesso if you want a lasting, archival base - a low-cost ground will flake and separate from your support, taking your work with it. With proper application and under the right conditions, a professional gesso like this will last generations
- Fully intermixable with all Liquitex products
- Use undiluted or thin with up to 25% water - when thinning more than 25%, use an equal mixture of water and Liquitex Matte Medium
- Sand hard or shiny surfaces first, apply a thin coat to support with a wide, flat brush and leave to dry for at least 24 hours before starting to paint
- To create a smoother base, sand the surface and reapply gesso
- If using as a base for oils, apply 2-4 coats and sand between applications
- Add acrylic color for a custom color - Soft or Heavy Body Acrylics are the optimum consistencies
- You can use this as a dry ground for oils, but do not mix with oils
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Tips & Techniques
Useful guides for working with gessoes, mediums and varnishes
Gray Gesso FAQs
Other artists have asked us...
What’s the finish of your Gray Gesso?
Our Professional Gray Gesso is matte.
What’s the point of your Black and Gray Gessos?
These are ready mixed so you can apply color from your base up. The pigments help you to build depth and instantly cover your surface color.
What’s the best way to prime a canvas for painting?
Size the canvas with one layer of Matte Medium, and then coat with one or two layers of Liquitex gesso - choose from traditional white, neutral gray or black gesso, Clear Gesso or Super Heavy Gesso.