White polymer shreds
give irregular texture
Build flexible, coarse-grade flakey effects with this thick acrylic texture gel.
8oz/237ml | 8oz/237ml
8oz/237ml | 8oz/237ml
Acrylic paints & mediums
All acrylic-friendly surfaces
Special effects & highlighting
Lightfast & archival
Flexible & non-cracking
Water-resistant when dry
Intermixable with all Liquitex materials
What it does
- Irregular size and shape white acrylic polymer flakes add dimension and texture to this clear 100% acrylic polymer gel
- Dries to an opaque white, rough flakey texture
- Highly flexible and adhesive
- Will not chip or crack on canvas
- Can be used on its own, mixed with color or overpainted with acrylics once dry
- Apply thickly to create dramatic 3D effects, or finely to give texture
- Maintains color adhesion, durability and archival quality
How to use it
- Fully intermixable with all Liquitex products
- Apply with knife or brush
- Can be thinned with a small amount of distilled water if required
- Mix with different consistencies and ratios of acrylic color/medium to create custom texture
- Start by adding very small amounts of color and build up as needed
- For a pure white effect, add a small amount of Titanium White color
- For maximum dimension, mix with transparent/semi opaque colors
- For dramatic surface effects and highlights, mix with metallic colors or apply 'neat' over dried paint
- Mix with Gloss Medium to create a textured glaze
- Overpaint with opaque colors for foliage effects
- Overpaint when dry with transparent/semi opaque acrylics for different effects
- Can be mixed with acrylic-compatible powdered pigments
How not to use it
- If varnishing, don't be too vigorous as this can cause clouding or foaming - spray varnish will give best results
- Do not use with any non-acrylic compatible media
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Tips & Techniques
Useful guides for working with mediums
White Flakes FAQs
Other artists have asked us...
I want to experiment with texture – any suggestions?
You can start by creating texture literally from the ground up by using our Super Heavy Gesso. It will give you an archival base with high peaks and marks, ready to apply color to. Or try one of our effects mediums with color or neat.
Can I use Liquitex effects mediums to make acrylic skins?
Yes, but some need to be used in combination with a more flowing vehicle (a color or medium). You can add Liquitex Glass Beads, Black Lava or White Flakes to create texture, or use something like Liquitex Iridescent Medium with a color or in combination with Flow Aid Additive or Pouring Medium. Have a play and see what you end up with.
The Liquitex White Flakes name has changed – have you changed the formulation too?
No the formulation of Liquitex White Flakes is the same now as it was when it was called Opaque White Flakes. We wanted to streamline the name and keep it short and simple, in the same way we do with Glass Beads and Black Lava.