Prepare your surface
to receive paint
An opaque white gesso to create the ideal absorbency, stiffness and adhesion for paint.
8.45oz/250ml | 16oz/473ml | 63.9oz/1.89L | 128oz/3.78L
Acrylic & oil paints/mediums
Chalk & oil pastels
Graphite, pencil & charcoal
Hardboard & paper
Wood & non-oily, porous supports
Lightfast & archival
Flexible & non-cracking
Water-resistant when dry
Intermixable with all Liquitex materials
- Gives a matte white, opaque finish which provides a long-lasting base
- Primes surfaces and adds a high level of tooth for good color adhesion and stability
- Stiffens your canvases and creates the right absorbency for paint application
- Establishes a good surface for acrylics, oils, charcoal, pastels or pencil drawings
- Fully intermixable with all Liquitex products
- Use undiluted or thin with up to 25% water
- Sand hard or shiny surfaces first, apply a thin coat with a wide, flat brush and leave to dry for at least 24 hours before starting to paint
- To create a smoother base, sand the surface and reapply gesso
- If using as a base for oils, apply 2-4 coats and sand between applications
- Add acrylic color to make a tinted gesso
- You can use this as a dry base for oil paints, but do not mix with oils
Tips & Techniques
Useful guides for working with mediums
Surface prep FAQs
Other artists have asked us...
What color is Basics Gesso?
It's a classic titanium white opaque color - the perfect base for acrylic colors.
If acrylic goes onto most surfaces why do I need a gesso?
Our acrylics will adhere to most surfaces but for a truly long-term bond, we recommend prepping some surfaces with gesso. Gesso will create the correct absorbency and tooth for your paint.
Are Basics mediums just for acrylics or can I use them with oils too?
You can use Basics Gesso as a base for oils when dry, but the rest of the range is for use with acrylics only.