Improves flow, with
a gloss finish
Mix with paint to give it a gloss finish, while making it thinner and more transparent. Or use as a collaging adhesive.
Acrylic paints & mediums
All acrylic-friendly surfaces
Collaging & mixed media
Lightfast & archival
Flexible & non-cracking
Water-resistant when dry
Intermixable with all Liquitex materials
- This is the best way to improve flow - thinning acrylic paint with water will give you less intense color and poorer all-round performance
- Increases surface gloss, color depth and transparency
- Thins heavier body paints, giving increased flow
- Makes your color go further without affecting stability
- Maintains paint adhesion, durability and archival quality
- Fully intermixable with all Liquitex products - Basics and Professional
- Mix with Matte Fluid Medium to create a custom satin finish
- Can be thined by diluting with up to 25% water - distilled water will give best results
- Mix as much as you like into acrylic color to create the consistency and transparency you want - the more you add, the thinner and more transparent your color will become
- Stir gently to avoid creating foam - if bubbles appear, leave it to sit while the bubble rise and disappear
- Apply with a brush/sponge as a light collaging glue
- Do not shake or vigorously over-brush as this can result in a foggy, hazy look when dry
- Do not use with any non-acrylic media
Tips & Techniques
Useful guides for working with mediums
Gloss Fluid Medium FAQs
Other artists have asked us...
How much Basics Gloss and Matte Fluid Mediums should I add to my paint?
Because our fluid mediums have the same base as our paints, (think of them as pigment-less paints), you can add as much as you like without weakening the formulation. Have a play - the more you add increases the fluidity and transparency and dilutes pigment intensity.
Will Basics fluid mediums make my color more transparent?
Yes they will a little, as the medium has no color of its own, so your pigments will be slightly diluted. Start by adding a small amount and see how you go from there.
Will using Basics Gloss Medium and Gel make my Basics paints high shine?
It won't have a wet-look finish but it will be glossier than the current satin finish Basics colors have. For a wet-look finish you may want to try our Professional Pouring Medium.