Basics Gloss Gel
Add body, with a gloss finish
Mix with paint to give it a gloss finish, while making it thicker and better for blending - or use as a collaging adhesive.
Acrylic paints & mediums
All acrylic-friendly surfaces
Blending & softening edges
Collaging, decoupage & mixed media
Glazing (when used with transparent colors)
Lightfast & archival
Flexible & non-cracking
Water-resistant when dry
Intermixable with all Liquitex materials
- Thickens fluid/medium body paints, giving more prominent brush and knife marks
- Increases surface gloss, color depth and transparency
- Slows drying time so you achieve better color blends
- Makes your color go further without affecting stability
- Maintains paint adhesion, durability and archival quality
- Fully intermixable with all Liquitex products - Basics and Professional
- Mix with Matte Gel to create a custom satin finish
- Can be thinned by diluting with up to 25% water - distilled water will give best results
- Mix as much as you like into acrylic color to create the consistency and transparency you want - the more you add, the more transparent your color will become
- Apply with a brush as a collaging glue
- Do not vigorously over-brush as this can result in a foggy, hazy look when dry
- Do not use with any non-acrylic compatible media
Tips & Techniques
Useful guides for working with mediums
Gloss Gel FAQs
Other artists have asked us...
Is it true that your Basics Gloss Gels make the color look richer as well as thicker?
Yes it is. The way the color mixes into the clear acrylic gel gives a more brilliant result.
How do I decide between a gel or fluid medium?
If working with a medium consistency paint like Basics, a gel will thicken it and a fluid medium will slightly thin and extend the volume - essentially giving you more paint. The gel will give you a heavier body paint.
Will using Basics Gloss Medium and Gel make my Basics paints high shine?
It won't have a wet-look finish but it will be glossier than the current satin finish Basics colors have. For a wet-look finish you may want to try our Professional Pouring Medium.