Adds a pearly
Mix with paint to give it an iridescent finish, or use on its own to add surface highlights.
Acrylic paints & mediums
All acrylic-friendly surfaces
Lightfast & archival
Flexible & non-cracking
Water-resistant when dry
Intermixable with all Liquitex materials
What it does
- Gives a smooth iridescent appearance
- Increases paint transparency
- Extends your color without affecting acrylic stability
- Slows drying time so you can create more subtle color blends
- Thins heavier body paints
- Maintains paint adhesion, durability and archival quality
How to use it
- Fully intermixable with all Liquitex products - Basics and Professional
- Can be thinned by diluting with up to 30% water - distilled water will give best results
- Mix as much as you like into acrylic color to create the iridescence and consistency you want
- Stir gently to avoid creating foam - if bubbles appear, leave it to sit while the bubble rise and disappear
How not to use
- Do not shake or vigorously over-brush as this can result in a foggy, hazy look when dry
- May temporarily lighten colors until dry
- Do not use with any non-acrylic media
Tips & Techniques
Useful guides for working with mediums
Iridescent Medium FAQs
Other artists have asked us...
How thick is your student-grade Iridescent Medium?
Our Basics Iridescent Medium is a smooth fluid with a flowing, medium consistency. You can change this by mixing it with other Liquitex mediums to make it thicker or thinner.
Does Basics Iridescent Medium have pigment in it?
Iridescent Medium is made with tiny mica particles coated with reflective materials - so we wouldn't strictly classify them as pigments.
Can I use your Basics Iridescent Medium as a paint?
You can use it neat direct from the tube, but we recommend using it for highlights rather than a big painting - our Basics metallic colors will give you a better result for large areas.