Build heavy texture
and sculptural structure
A thick acrylic putty to create texture on rigid supports and make 3D forms.
Acrylic paints & mediums
All non-oily, absorbent surfaces
Lightfast & archival
Flexible & non-cracking
Water-resistant when dry
Intermixable with all Liquitex materials
What it does
- Dries to a hard 'stone-like' opaque white matte finish that you can sand or carve
- Can be used on its own, mixed with color, or painted once dry
- Can be painted with acrylics, oils, watercolors, graphite or dry pastels when dry
- Can be handled like clay
- Maintains paint adhesion, durability and archival quality
How to use it
- Fully intermixable with all Liquitex products - Basics and Professional
- Use on non-flexible supports only
- Apply with knife or tool
- Mix with acrylic color to make a tinted paste
- For sculptural texture, build up in thin layers, allowing each to dry
- Dry slowly by covering loosely with plastic wrap to avoid shrinkage cracks
- If cracks appear, allow to dry and fill in with another thin layer of paste
- Ensure it's completely dry before sanding or carving
- Overpaint once dry with acrylics or most other media
How not to use
- Do not use with any non-acrylic compatible media
- Drying too quickly will cause cosmetic (not structural) cracks
- Do not use on flexible supports unless mixed with another medium
Tips & Techniques
Useful guides for working with mediums
Modeling Paste FAQs
Other artists have asked us...
Is it true that I can carve into Basics Modeling Paste?
Yes! You need to leave it to completely dry first and then you can sand it or carve it.
Will Basics Modeling Paste crack when it’s dry?
If you apply it thickly and then dry it too fast, shrinkage cracks can occur. It's best to build it up in thin layers, allowing each to dry slowly. For thick applications, cover it loosely with plastic wrap to avoid cracks and if they do appear, allow to dry and fill in with another thin layer of paste.
Can I add color to your Basics Modeling Pastes?
Yes, they are designed to be mixed with Basics paints or any from our professional range, to create bespoke, colored pastes.