Black particle gel gives
a speckled, glittery effect
Build flexible, matte glitter effects with this thick acrylic texture gel.
Acrylic paints & mediums
All acrylic-friendly surfaces
Special effects & highlighting
Lightfast & archival
Flexible & non-cracking
Water-resistant when dry
Intermixable with all Liquitex materials
- Tiny flat black acrylic polymer hexagons add dimension and texture to this clear 100% acrylic polymer gel
- Dries to a ground black lava texture
- Highly flexible and adhesive
- Will not chip or crack on canvas
- Can be used on its own, mixed with color or overpainted with acrylics once dry
- Apply thickly to create dramatic 3D effects, or finely to give surface highlights and dimension
- Maintains color adhesion, durability and archival quality
- Fully intermixable with all Liquitex products
- Apply with knife or brush
- Can be thinned with a small amount of distilled water if required
- Mix with different consistencies and ratios of acrylic color/medium to create custom texture
- Start by adding very small amounts of color and build up as needed
- For maximum dimension, mix with transparent/semi opaque colors
- For dramatic glittery effects and highlights, mix with metallic color or apply 'neat' over dried paint
- Mix with Gloss Medium to create a textured glaze
- Overpaint when dry with transparent/semi opaque acrylics for different effects
- Can be mixed with acrylic-compatible powdered pigments
- If varnishing, don't be too vigorous as this can cause clouding or foaming - spray varnish will give best results
- Do not use with any non-acrylic compatible media
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Tips & Techniques
Useful guides for using gessoes, mediums and varnishes
Black Lava FAQs
Other artists have asked us...
Does Black Lava contain lava?
No, we have created the effect of lava but using acrylic particles in an acrylic gel.
I want to experiment with texture – any suggestions?
You can start by creating texture literally from the ground up by using our Super Heavy Gesso. It will give you an archival base with high peaks and marks, ready to apply color to. Or try one of our effects mediums with color or neat.
Can I use Liquitex effects mediums to make acrylic skins?
Yes, but some need to be used in combination with a more flowing vehicle (a color or medium). You can add Liquitex Glass Beads, Black Lava or White Flakes to create texture, or use something like Liquitex Iridescent Medium with a color or in combination with Flow Aid Additive or a Pouring Medium. The different Matte, Gloss and Iridescent Pouring Mediums give you a range of lustre effects options to experiment with. Have a play and see what you end up with.