Matte Varnish Spray
Archival permanent matte varnish for acrylics
Seal your acrylic work with a transparent, matte acrylic layer which is breathable, permanent and protects against UV damage.Unfortunately at this time we cannot ship this item to Hawaii and Puerto Rico.
Acrylic paints & mediums
All acrylic surfaces
Heavily textured pieces
Mixed media & collage
Murals & vertical pieces
Lightfast & archival
Flexible & non-cracking
Water-resistant when dry
Intermixable with all Liquitex materials
All our paints are intermixable and water-based, with archival results. Tested and certified at Duke University by the ACMI. Conforms to ASTM D4236
Unfortunately this item cannot be shipped to Canada due to local legal restrictions. Please Contact us if you require a Canadian Safety Data Sheet. Please refer to safety data sheet for safety information
Download safety data sheet
- 100% acrylic polymer varnish adds a matte sheen, protects and resists dirt retention
- Dries clear to a flexible, non-tacky, hard surface
- Increases brightness and color saturation
- Adjusts and unifies surface sheen
- Improves surface durability - ideal when shipping or exhibiting
- Protects colors from UV light damage
- Resists discoloration - yellowing and fogging - caused by humidity, heat and UV
- Depending on the substrate, it allows surface moisture to pass through and breathe
- Allows for easy cleaning without fear of damaging the acrylic paint film
- Has excellent levelling properties - will not hold brush marks
- Semi-opaque when wet, transparent when dry
- Use on flexible or rigid supports
- Ideal for complete coverage of heavy textures and vertical applications
- Designed for interior and exterior use
- As this is permanent, do a patch test first
- Before varnishing ensure paint surface is fully dry (72 hours-two weeks depending on thickness)
- Ensure your space is well ventilated and dirt and dust-free
- Place the artwork flat on a surface - always varnish horizontally
- Use long, even strokes, covering the surface top to bottom while moving from one side to the other - don't go over bits you have missed, but leave to dry and then re-varnish area
- Apply 1-2 thin coats, allowing at least three hours dry time between coats Matte Varnish as your top coat
- Don't apply in one thick coat, but several thin coats, to avoid drips and cloudiness
- Don't go back over areas you have already done, as this can cause clouding
- Don't attempt to remove once applied
- Do not use with any non-acrylic media
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Tips & Techniques
Useful guides for varnishing
Other artists have asked us...
Can Liquitex Spray Varnish be used on top of traditional gouache to make it waterproof?
It is possible to use our permanent spray varnish on gouache on canvas and this will enhance its levels of waterproofing. However if you want to continue painting on top, your next layer of paint will not adhere to the varnished surface effectively. Works in gouache are better protected under glass rather than varnish.
How long should I wait between applying each layer of Liquitex Permanent Spray Varnish?
Ensure the artwork is fully dry before varnishing and allow at least 12 hours drying between coats of varnish.
How much area does your aerosol Gloss Varnish cover?
A 400ml can will cover approximately 2 sq.m.