Soluvar Matte Varnish Spray
Archival removable matte varnish for acrylics
Protect your acrylic and oil pieces with a transparent, matte acrylic layer which can be removed to clean away surface dirt.Unfortunately at this time we cannot ship this item to Hawaii and Puerto Rico.
Acrylic paints & mediums
Lightfast & archival
Flexible & non-cracking
Water-resistant when dry
Intermixable with all Liquitex materials
All our paints are intermixable and water-based, with archival results. Tested and certified at Duke University by the ACMI. Conforms to ASTM D4236
Unfortunately this item cannot be shipped to Canada due to local legal restrictions. Please Contact us if you require a Canadian Safety Data Sheet. Please refer to safety data sheet for safety information
Download safety data sheet
- Mineral spirit-based varnish adds a matte sheen, protects and resists dirt retention
- Dries clear to a flexible, non-tacky, hard surface
- Increases brightness and color saturation
- Adjusts and unifies surface sheen
- Improves surface durability - ideal when shipping or exhibiting
- Protects colors from UV light damage
- Resists discoloration - yellowing and fogging - caused by humidity, heat and UV
- Depending on the substrate it allows surface moisture to pass through and breathe
- Allows for easy cleaning without fear of damaging the acrylic paint film
- Has excellent levelling properties - will not hold brushmarks
- Use on flexible or rigid supports
- Designed for interior and exterior use
- Before varnishing ensure paint surface is fully dry - 72 hours-two weeks for acrylics, depending on thickness, and 6-12 months for oils
- Ensure your space is well ventilated and dirt and dust-free
- Place the artwork flat on a surface - always varnish horizontally
- Apply 1-2 coats of Gloss Medium as a permanent isolating barrier first and leave to dry for three days
- Once completely dry, clean the surface with a lint-free rag dampened with mineral spirits
- Apply 1-2 layers of Soluvar, leaving 24 hours between coats
- Use long, even mists, covering the surface top to bottom while moving from one side to the other
- Work in a clean, well-ventilated area
- Wear a dual filter respirator (NIOSH-approved) and neoprene gloves
- Use a small piece of soft, white, lint-free cloth dampened with true mineral spirits or turps. Lay the cloth on the surface for 15-30 minutes, checking to see if varnish is being dissolved. If it's taking longer, use a higher strength of the spirit and cover the area with plastic to slow down evaporation
- After 15-30 minutes, rub the cloth over a small area 1-2 square inches until the Soluvar layer starts to dissolve
- Using a clean cloth and more solvent, rub the area again to remove residue
- Working horizontally, continue the same process for the entire area to be cleaned
- If any paint comes off on the cloth, stop immediately and move onto another area
- Once completed allow the surface to dry before reapplying a fresh coat of Soluvar
- Don't apply in one thick coat, but several thin coats, to avoid brush marks, drips and cloudiness
- Don't go back over areas you have already done, as this can cause clouding
- Don't use odorless mineral spirits, paint removers, ketones or any other harsh solvents
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Tips & Techniques
Useful guides for varnishing
Other artists have asked us...
Can I use your varnishes on my oil painting?
You can use all Liquitex Soluvar removable varnishes on oil paintings as these are solvent based. However our permanent varnishes are made with a water-based acrylic formula and are designed only for acrylics. These are not suitable for oil paintings.
Why should I use two varnishes when I use Soluvar?
Gloss Medium provides a buffer coat that protects the paint film against abrasion during future Soluvar removal for cleaning. Soluvar provides final UV varnish protection for the work.
What varnish should I use with Liquitex Spray Paint?
You can use any of our varnishes once your spray paint has been completely dry for at least 24 hours. Our removable Soluvar Matte or Gloss Varnish works well on important pieces. This is an archival varnish which can be removed to clean the surface and is suitable for interior and exterior use. .