Create an ultra
Doubles paint volume without changing its color, gives an ultra matte finish and maintains opacity.
8oz/237ml | 16oz/473ml
Acrylic paints & mediums
All acrylic-friendly surfaces
Blending & softening edges
Collaging, decoupage & mixed media
Lightfast & archival
Flexible & non-cracking
Water-resistant when dry
Intermixable with all Liquitex materials
- Turns satin paint to a dead matte finish with absolutely no sheen
- Extends your heavy body paints by up to double volume without affecting acrylic stability, viscosity or color position - ideal when running out of a color mid painting
- Maintains opacity levels better than any other Liquitex gel
- Increases viscosity of fluid paints, giving a thicker consistency
- Slows drying time and enhances appearance of brush marks
- Acts as a heavy-duty collaging adhesive
- Maintains durability and archival quality
- Adding over 50% medium may lighten your color
- Do not vigorously over-brush as this can result in a foggy, hazy look when dry
- Do not use with any non-acrylic compatible media
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Tips & Techniques
Useful guides for working with mediums
Ultra Matte Gel FAQs
Other artists have asked us...
Do you make any transparent matte paints?
Our Acrylic Gouache paints are designed to be semi-opaque and opaque, so opt for a transparent Soft Body, Heavy Body or Acrylic Ink mixed with Ultra Matte Medium or Ultra Matte Gel. This will help you achieve a more transparent super-matte finish.
Why are some acrylic mediums milky, some translucent and some clear when wet?
Some acrylic mediums are milky because of the water content within the emulsion. Others include matting agents that make them appear milky, while other mediums are formulated with a clear resin, giving them greater clarity both wet and dry.
How does Acrylic Gouache work with your mediums – particularly gloss and matte mediums?
All of our materials are compatible but if you want to keep Liquitex Acrylic Gouache's formula as matte and opaque as intended, we would recommend using a Liquitex gel medium rather than a fluid medium. The gels have an optimum consistency and Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel is particularly good to use in combination, as it effectively maintains the matte surface shine. Liquitex Light Modeling Paste and Flexible Modeling Paste are also good partners for Acrylic Gouache, while Modeling Paste can be more prone to cracking due to the paint's high pigment level. From the Effects mediums, String Gel and Pouring Medium are recommended.