Professional Gloss Varnish
- 100% acrylic polymer varnish adds a gloss sheen, protects and resists dirt retention
- Increases brightness and color saturation and dries clear to a flexible, non-tacky, hard surface
- Improves surface durability - ideal when shipping or exhibiting
- Resists discoloration - yellowing and fogging - caused by humidity, heat and UV
- Semi-opaque when wet, transparent when dry
How to Use
- Before varnishing ensure paint surface is fully dry (72 hours-two weeks depending on thickness)
- Ensure your space is well ventilated and dirt and dust-free. As this is permanent, do a patch test first
- Stir gently before use. Do not thin with water, shake or vigorously over-brush as this can result in surface bubbles and a foggy, hazy look when dry
- Use long, even strokes, covering the surface top to bottom while moving from one side to the other - don't go over bits you have missed but leave to dry and then re-varnish area. Don’t apply with a roller or sponge brush
- Apply up to three thin coats, allowing at least three hours dry time between coats. Do not attempt to remove once applied or go back over areas you have already done, as this can cause clouding
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Other creatives have asked us...
I'm working on a big piece. How big an area will your Gloss Varnish cover?
For Liquitex liquid varnishes - as general rule, one gallon (or 128oz) will cover approximately 400 square feet. Many factors can change this number a bit including how thick you apply the coats and the surface you are painting. This rule also applies to other Liquitex products with similar viscosity such as Liquitex Professional Soft Body Acrylic. For Liquitex spray varnishes - a 12oz can will cover approximately 21 sq foot.
Is it possible to create a custom satin varnish?
Yes, you can mix our High Gloss, Gloss, Satin and Matte Varnishes to create your perfect level of sheen. The formulas are all compatible - just make sure you don't mix them vigorously as you may capture air bubbles and cause a cloudy effect.
Can I use Liquitex varnishes to varnish a giclee print?
You can varnish giclee prints with Liquitex varnishes. Spray or airbrush Liquitex Gloss Varnish or use Liquitex Soluvar. Starting with a fine mist and working way thicker, apply several coats for best results.
Why do I need to varnish my acrylic work?
Varnishing acrylic works protects against damage, dirt, UV light, unifies sheen, and enhances color. Liquitex offers Basics and Professional varnishes.