Professional Matte Varnish
- 100% acrylic polymer varnish adds a matte sheen, protects and resists dirt retention
- Increases brightness and color saturation and dries clear to a flexible, non-tacky, hard surface
- Improves surface durability - ideal when shipping or exhibiting
- Resists discoloration - yellowing and fogging - caused by humidity, heat and UV
- Semi-opaque when wet, transparent when dry
How to Use
- Before varnishing ensure paint surface is fully dry (72 hours-two weeks depending on thickness)
- Ensure your space is well ventilated and dirt and dust-free. As this is permanent, do a patch test first
- Stir gently before use. Do not thin with water, shake or vigorously over-brush as this can result in surface bubbles and a foggy, hazy look when dry
- Use long, even strokes, covering the surface top to bottom while moving from one side to the other - don't go over bits you have missed but leave to dry and then re-varnish area. Don’t apply with a roller or sponge brush
- Apply 1-2 thin coats, allowing at least three hours dry time between coats. If you require more than two layers, first use Gloss Varnish as a base layer and build to your desired thickness, then apply Matte Varnish as your top coat
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Other creatives have asked us...
How should I apply your brush-on Matte Varnish?
We recommend a synthetic bristle brush which you don't use for color or mediums. Keep it reserved just for varnishing and wash it out really well with warm water and soap, once finished.
Is it possible to create a custom satin varnish?
Yes, you can mix our High Gloss, Gloss, Satin and Matte Varnishes to create your perfect level of sheen. The formulas are all compatible - just make sure you don't mix them vigorously as you may capture air bubbles and cause a cloudy effect.
Why do I need to varnish my acrylic work?
Varnishing acrylic works protects against damage, dirt, UV light, unifies sheen, and enhances color. Liquitex offers Basics and Professional varnishes.